Theme: Think positive sci-fi. Some time in the distant future, humanity finds balance. Each individual has purpose, health, and can work positively toward their unique desires. Society is in synch with our environments. Our instincts for self destruction are mitigated and our conflicts resolved for the good of all.
If our future is bright, what does it look like when we get there? What are the stories we tell each other? How do we express that long-sought balance?
Event: An evening of curated short stories, plays, poems and spoken word pieces performed at the Octopus Literary Salon on Tuesday, November 6th from 7-9pm.
Submissions: Are open and public. Follow the guidelines below. Submissions will be curated by a small team of professional artists. A combination of texts adding up to 60 minutes of performance time will be selected and read.
Everyone is welcome to submit regardless of experience.
- There is no application fee.
- There is no compensation for selection.
- You will receive email notification whether your submission has been selected or not by November 1st.
- All submissions must be in PDF format.
- If your work is selected and you have readers who are available to attend the entire event on November 6th in Oakland, you will be able to submit their names. If you have no readers, they will be assigned.
SUBMISSIONS DUE NOON PST, OCTOBER 29
GENRE-SPECIFIC SUBMISSION GUIDELINES:
Short Stories and Plays:
Must be able to be read out loud under 10 minutes. Two readers maximum.
Poetry & Spoken Word:
Must be able to be read out loud under five minutes. One reader maximum.